Friday, April 7, 2017

Flowering Snowballs is a Finish, Although Looking a Little Bruised Perhaps

So once again, I completely fell off the face of the earth, blogging-wise that is. We actually went on a vacation, planned for last September, rescheduled for October and then finally rescheduled again for March of this year. The timing was terrible for my husbands work schedule {naturally}, but we decided it was probably never going to get better.
Flowering Snowball finish
Off we went, thinking it better to deal with bad timing than lose our tickets forever. Just before we left I had stitched the last bit of binding into place on my Flowering Snowball quilt and found time to get it washed while I was packing. Imagine my dismay when I pulled it out of the washer and saw some serious fabric bleeds....
It's got some dull areas now
It quickly got tossed back in the washer with a even more color catchers and a small amount of synthrapol. No luck. Upon further scrutiny I noticed that all the dye had gravitated to a single cream fabric throughout the entire quilt. It really wasn't a case of dye bleeding directly next to a weepy fabric, it simply happened that one particular fabric acted as a huge dye magnet. Great. Just my luck.
The two left corner cream pieces turned a very light lavender-gray
 What to do, what to do?
And here you can see all the bottom pieces of the snowball turned color
I know, I know. Several of you out there are shaking your heads at me for ever even washing my quilts directly after finishing. But it's just what I do. Loving that fresh washed, crinkly goodness that comes from a hand stitched quilt almost gives me no choice. And I do pre-wash all my fabrics. Every. Single. Time. But I don't do the 12 hour soak which is probably what I have to do to ensure zero dye bleeds..... Ughh.
With this snowball, it's the top half of the creamy fabrics that turned
In any case, I let this one dry on the floor until it was only slightly damp and then laid it out over my just-made bed to finish drying while we were gone. To soak or not to soak and try to release all those migrating dyes? That was the question of the day and one I needed to think on. A side effect of doing that seems to wash out all the sparkly parts in a brand new quilt. Seeing as how the dye only gravitated to one particular fabric, there was still a bit of sparkle to be found. In fact, the quilt had inadvertently gained a new moodiness, kind of a vintage thing that didn't exactly look ruinous. You know, not to an extreme? I certainly wasn't pulling my hair out in despair, although that could have had more to do with the fact that I was still packing with the intent to avoid doing laundry for gulp! 10 days?
And somehow I don't even care this time.
Just makes my head hurt!
So we left on our trip for Oklahoma to visit our bajillion family members and friends. So many to see and never enough time allotted! This trip was carefully planned out by the men folk {my husband and oldest son who bought our airline tickets for our 25th anniversary last year}. I very determinedly decided to give as little input as possible and just see what opportunities might appear. Turns out one of my husbands cousins is newly into quilting and was delighted to take me to her two favorite quilt stores: Nancy's Trunk in Ripley, Oklahoma and Quilt Post in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Both of them were very fun little shops and well worth the time. It almost helped stem the itchiness I was feeling to be reunited with my quilting projects!
A few new pieces of inspiration!
Not that I bought anything much different than what I find out here on the west coast, but it's always great fun to see how different stores present their wares! I went into both stores thinking to be conservative and only buy about four fatquarters. Yeah right...... So then later in the week I got another surprise when the same cousin suggested we head up to Pawhuska to check out the Pioneer Woman's new store! Ahh was that the most fun ever. It would have been great to eat there as well, but the line was over an hour wait so we headed to the bakery instead. Just heavenly. You gotta try those Butter Blonde Brownies! Totally worth the experience if you ever get the chance. I have been a fan of Ree Drummond for years now and never thought I'd get the chance to visit her store and see all her wonderful merchandise!
And maybe something new for dinner?
So eventually we made it home {earlier this week} and what with the time change, way too many late nights and a long delay on one of our layovers, I crashed and burned. Fatigue set in and I ended up sick for a couple days. Happy homecoming for me! But the first thing I did when I walked into my bedroom was see that newly finished quilt laying across my bed and hello? Who cares about naughty dye bleeds when it just looks, feels and smells like home. I wrapped that quilt around me and had the best nights sleep in well over a week. I aint' changing a thing.*wink
Keeping the stitching loose and undemanding.
It feels so good to have the hoop out again!!
I am so very glad to be home again. Happy to feel like I'm well enough to start quilting again too! {Took a few hand quilting stitches on my Creative Process quilt just last night!} Like always, it's going to take me a bit to get back in the groove, I've a pile of emails to get through and lots of stuff to take care of on the homefront. And although I mostly tuned out the social media on my trip, I did take a day or two and cruise through the blogs just to get my quota of quilting inspiration. Will try to start commenting again now that I'm headed back into the normal warp and weft of my life!

29 comments:

  1. Audrey tu viaje suena muy agradable.
    tu edredón es precioso!!
    cuando compro mis telas lo primer que hago
    es ponerlas en abundante agua con sal y vinagre
    para asegurar los colores, siempre me funciona
    buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you love the quilt just the way it is. I wash mine afterward too, just have to! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking and looking for the bleeding, but I think really it's just that one colour-changing fabric. No problem at all! It looks great, and it's another wonderful finish. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain! I have had this happen and it does really shake up your love for a quilt. But I feel like that often all along the way when it comes to the making of a quilt. Love, hate, love again, indifference, tolerance, it will have to do......and finally LOVE! So glad that after a short time away you fell back in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt! To me, it simply looks like you have purposefully used different backgrounds, you know, to create (more) interest and depth :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home. Love seeing hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't actually notice the fabric bleed - I thought it was the color of the fabric!! If you already tried all you could to get it out and it didn't work just enjoy it!! Who well know unless you tell them. I am like you I rarely pre-wash unless I think it will bleed - I wash my quilts about 2 or 3 times with color catchers and what happens happens! I am about 3 or 4 hours from the Pioneer Woman's place and have never been there well need to check it out sometime

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Karen--I didn't notice the bleed either--in fact, I kind of like it--glad you're feeling better. Home is definitely where the heart is....hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at this post, perhaps it could help :
    https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.fr/2017/01/hidden-gems-seasons-finale.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a great trip and good that you fond a fellow quilter to both shop and talk quilting with. Such a shame re the quilt it happened to me orange bled in a disappearing nine patch quilt only into the white sashing, it now looks tea dyed! I always wash my fabric as soon as I buy it prior to using except the orange that I bought for the binding and could not wait to finish it my fault rushing. I am now extra careful but do not soak in this give it awarm wash in the washing machine or if one piece by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the pictures the color change is not very obvious, it just looks like different fabrics. But it must be disturbing to have clor change or bleeding in a quilt. I always wash my quilts as soon as the binding is on. Every time hoping that no bleeding will occur.
    But I'm glad that the quilt gave you a feeling of home after your trip. Hope you have recovered. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is beautiful just the way it is! I too always wash my quilts right after I finish - a must!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your quilt .... and I always wash my quilts after they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad that you had a wonderful vacation with your husband and family- that time is so important and what a wonderful gift from your son. I, too, LOVE, your quilt. (It has been on my to-do list since you first started posting about it). I, too, was my quilts, and I pre-wash fabric. I know of so many that never pre-wash. Interesting how the reasoning and approach to the process is unique. I am glad you are enjoying your quilt, just as it is. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Your new quilt is gorgeus and if there is still any change of colour, concider that only part of the art! could those pieces look like light colour batiks? I pre-wash my fabrics and wash my quilts after finishing because just love the wrinkled look! I have been lucky not to have problems with the colours but perhaps it would be could to add always those colour catchers. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home! Glad you're feeling better and also that you're over the unexpected turn of your quilt. It's lovely and even lovelier with its unique change of color. My Mom & I love Pioneer Woman and are also planning on a trip to Pawhuska to visit The Mercantile. Thanks for the tip about the lunch line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looked at the photo with those two pale lavender bits and thought 'oh, but I like that; I hope she leaves them'. I'm glad you had a good trip (though tiring) and are now back into the swing of quilty stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back! I love your flowering snowball quilt. Even with the bit of bleed. I think it just gives it character.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, like you, pre-shrink everything. When something bleeds - it's like I've been betrayed. I take it personally. I am finishing up the borders on my Peppermint Quilt using a blue water soluble marker to draw the quilting lines. I moisten the lines with a squirt of water after they are quilted. Where the white of the pieced inner border meets one particular red fabric I'm seeing a little bleeding - gasp! I decided that I would put a label on this quilt that says "SPOT CLEAN ONLY" or a descendant is going to have a red & pink quilt instead of a red & white one. DRAT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dye bleed must have been initially awful for you but like many others I actually really like it because it's not blotchy and just ssems like a matching different fabric. That was very clever to have it on the bed waiting for you to return home, so glad you can now live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the color migration gives the quilt charm and age. It will be loved regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vicki Welsh recommends Dawn Pure soap, but I haven't tried it yet.
    That is ny worst nightmare of the quilty variety!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess we've all had bleeder and eventually reach the point where you decide enough is enough and it just becomes part of the story of that particular quilt. Sounds like that's what you've done. Glad you had a chance to get away and regroup, have fun and do a little stash building.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally agree that the washing oops just makes the quilt look aged and so lovely. Great buys from your visit. So sorry you ended up unwell and do hope you're feeling so much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. For a dye running disaster it's pretty good. I actually like the look it gives the quilt. Your holiday sounds fun and great you were able to pick up some souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think we have all suffered the dreaded color "bleed" in our quilting lives. It has happened to me numerous times despite all the pre-washing and color catching I can do. I LOVE your solution to just live with it and enjoy the wonderful quilt that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back! Your quilt looks just fine to me. I don't see a problem!
    What an unusual quilting design you used in the brown sections. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would've never known about the bleeding myself.
    So you were in my part of the country and the shops you when to are nice shops and there is small one also near the Mercantile, in an old house.
    I enjoyed her store and I thought the food too was really good and yummies are to die for. Were you here during some of our unusually warm weather?
    Glad your home now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the scrappy look the color bleeding gives the one type of fabric! love it! love it! love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.